This document explains a migration plan to upgrade SQL and move the database.
NOTE: After SQL server is installed, SSMS must be installed. Please always add authenticated users (Refer to Database Engine Configuration screenshot) and choose mix mode.
Upgrading SQL or moving databases.
- Install as per the Microsoft installation guide including settings from our document SQL Settings.
- Ask all users to logout of WMS
- Backup WMS Database. Reference Backup Options
- Restore Database to New SQL Instance keeping the exact same database name.
- From the restored database remove the SQL user as per registry entry “Local Machine, Software, Datapel Systems, Connectivity – ServerUsername”
- Create SQL User as per the Fields “Local Machine, Software, Datapel Systems, Connectivity – ServerUsername and ServerPassword.
- Map the user to the restored database ticking all permissions except the deny permissions.
- Delete, Add and Map any other Windows Users that are required to have access to the software.
- Update/Add registry string (Local Machine, Software, Datapel Systems, Connectivity – ODBCDriver – SQL Server Native Client 11.0(For SQL Server 2012) or SQL Server Native Client 10.0(For SQL Server 2008 and 2008R2) No String required for 2005 editions).
- Update Registry String (Local Machine, Software, Datapel Systems, Connectivity – ServerIP = New SQL Server Name and instance if applicable.
- Test Software runs as administrator and as restricted users.
- Allow users back into the WMS software.
- Test WMS workflow, report and forms.
- Rename old database to identify it is no longer is use.
- Contact Datapel support if any issues.